Thursday, October 31, 2013

5th Grade Lego Self Portraits

5th graders created these AWESOME LEGO self portraits.  The inspiration for this lesson came from a fellow art teacher.  Students started by drawing the basic lego shape thinking of the head as a rounded square, the body as a trapezoid, the legs as rectangles, and the arms as a pentagon cut in half.  After students mastered the lego form they were to go in and make it look like them. We experimented with shade and value to help bring our legos to life.

They ALL turned out so well I'm excited to share them! 



Here are just a handful of the fabulous drawings created!






11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I LOVEEEEEEEE this! I think anything lego is adorable!
    There is no way I'm not going to try this with my kids sometime this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all turned out awesome too! I have about 200 5th graders and everyone seemed to be successful!

      Delete
  2. These are very fun! Just curious, what size paper did you use and did you allow students a choice of materials (I notice marker, oil pastel, colored pencil) - what seemed to work best? Great idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and checking out our artwork!

      I used 12x15 paper for this project. Students used pencil and sharpie to create the outline of their lego. For the rest we actually just used crayons and markers. Those seemed to work really well. I think any material would work pretty well, although I might stay away from oil pastels as they don't always capture the small details the best.

      Delete
  3. love this idea!!! thanks so much for sharing. I know my class will have a ball doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and checking them out. This is by far my favorite lesson I do with my students. Good luck, I'd love to see some finished products!

      Delete
  4. Hi Abby, these are so cute! I am terrible at drawing, would you happen to have any step by step instructions for these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to see the step by step instructions, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have the lesson that goes with this project? This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete