Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Up Up and Away-4th Grade Hot Air Balloons

I've been so excited to share these, I just didn't understand why the 4th graders couldn't move their arms a little faster when coloring so I could take some pictures! (just kidding..kind of)

At the beginning of the school year I went to a hot air balloon festival.  After going I knew I had to do a hot air balloon project with somebody--all those colors it needed to happen!  4th graders were the chosen ones.  We started the project by talking about composition and space, using hand outs and images students drew their own balloons.  After their balloon designs were finished they moved onto color (the longest, but well worth it part).  Students were to create value with crayons to give the more lifelike, puffed up balloon feel.  By day two of the lesson while students were still coloring, I think a few of them wanted to throw their crayons at me because they were sick of doing it.  You know that disease when you color so much you're hand is going to fall off....well all of the 4th graders had it.  

BUT THEN THEY SAW THE PAINTED BACKGROUND and the oooohs and the ahhhhs came back and they were excited again!
I love them. Color and color--my favorite thing.












2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I loved checking out your blog as well. Finding new art resources is always awesome!

      Delete