Monday, January 5, 2015

So is it Summer yet?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Today was the day when my alarm went off super early and I realized I in fact was not dreaming, but my Holiday vacation was officially over.  Every night I go to bed hoping for snow 1) because I LOVE IT and 2) the selfish part inside of me always wants a snow day--hopefully 2015 will bring me lots of snow...on the weekdays.


Over the break I was nominated by Heather over at Art Intertwine & Melinda at Art with Ms. Gram for the Liebster award.  (Check out their blogs they have some super awesome stuff happening over there!)

Here's the ten questions I was to answer:


1.  Why did you start your blog? I started my blog 3 years ago during my first year of teaching.  In my unique teaching environment I go to 3 different elementary schools (2 in which I do art on a cart, and 1 where I have my classroom).  I remember sitting at my desk in 2012 during one of my plan times thinking, "wow I don't really have a lot to do."  A first year teacher saying this? I must be crazy right!  In the 1,000 students that I see I am on an eight day schedule, which means I only see a class once every two weeks or more.  As I am a huge planner in my teaching practice, seeing students on a limited schedule teaching the same lesson 7 times in each grade does not call for a need to extensively plan out a new lesson every time I see a group, giving me a little extra time in that regard.  So the original plan for my blog was to 1) use it as a resource for me 2) share what was happening in the art room with all of the students families and 3) give me something to do!  


2.  What excites you about being an art educator?

I LOVE giving the students a crazy, cool experience that they can only get in the art room.  I experiment A LOT, sometimes it fails miserably, but I'm constantly trying new things that I think most students wouldn't have the opportunity to do without me.  I want to make learning exciting so teaching becomes exciting in turn.  And I mean really, who wouldn't want to get paid to create and make the thing that you are passionate about?

3.  What do you talk about on your blog?

The main content on my blog is my experiences in the classroom and the projects student create.  But, sometimes I give the reader a little glimpse of me sharing some events in my personal life as I tend to do a lot of weird/random things that I find fun to talk about.  

4.  Why do you think connecting with other bloggers is important?

In my current school district there are only 6 other elementary teachers that I have the opportunity to work and collaborate with.  Which is awesome, but sometimes it's nice to see a fresh different perspective on things.  Connecting with other art educators via blogs allows me to step outside my little circle and explore art room experiences all across the country--which is pretty rad when you think about it. 

5.  Have you met any other bloggers in person?

Other than bloggers in Nebraska I have not, but I really want to.  It's weird because sometimes you really feel like you know someone...but you don't.  Unfortunately, since I've begun teaching (only when I was in college) I haven't been able to attend NAEA--2016 should be the year!

6.  Where do you think your blog will be in 2 years?

Well, it will probably be where it is now.  I'll just be a couple years older and wiser I'm sure--so my wealth of knowledge will be priceless...just kidding, well kind of.  

7.  What do you do best (in reference to art education)?

I'm an innovator, learner, and creator.  I'm so good at just making things up on the fly...it's scary (and my students probably think I'm a little crazy for it or maybe that's why some of the kindergarten boys continue to propose).  I find it difficult to divide my time between my three buildings, so at times I have some struggle there.  But I'm a big advocate for arts in the community and museum education.  The Joslyn Art Museum holds these awesome "Thursdays for Teachers" workshops which enables art educators to get together and be artsy and stuff, ya know?...and sometimes they even let me present to everybody.  Another really important thing to me is to still create artwork for me--and for fun.  Sometimes I need it to be sane to just do what I want to do.  I used to strictly only be an oil painter, but it's kind of fun to see how teaching has influenced and inspired me to sometimes push myself and not just create what I'm most comfortable with.  It's weird to think that something I teach in a 3rd grade class inspires me in my own work.  This year has been quite a whirlwind as I took the plunge, and by that I mean I finally enrolled in a graduate program (it's the end as we know it...I'm getting old).  I've embarked on the pathway of Information Technology, I'm super techie, so it's fun to see how it as well is influencing my teaching.    

8.  How much time do you devote to your blog?

Probably at most about 4-5 hours a week.  This includes checking out others blogs as well as writing and adding pictures (the time killer) to mine.  Grad school has really taken a toll on this, there just isn't enough time in the day!  But I mean if I ever catch a glimpse of color anywhere...I become easily distracted. 

9.  How do you create your posts?

Sometimes I do themes like post different grade levels that all did portraits or all of the winter projects, or sometimes I just take it grade level by grade level.  However, sometimes it's just totally random and I plaster the page with pictures so they say "LOOK AT HOW PRETTY I AM."

10.  What wishes do you have for your readers?

First off, all of my readers MUST know that I actually do have an apron for every season/holiday/mediocre event--for some students it's become a game *eye roll* "what in the world will Ms. Schukei be wearing today?"
But really, I hope you keep reading along as I will with you.  I love communication and feedback with all of you out there, so don't be shy and stop back often!

And now...for my nomination (as a pull the name out of the envelope) the winner is:


Lauren over at Cornwell Fam.  She'll share with you some of the awesome artwork her middle schoolers create, as well as a little fashion, and other rad life events.




I hope your holidays were full of friends, family, and fun! 













2 comments:

  1. Happy to see you made it as a finalist!! I definitely had to nominate you for that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And congratulations to you as well!

      Delete